There’s nothing like waking up to the smell of baking bread. I love cornbread. It’s a guilty pleasure of mine that reminds me of home. I have memories of waking up on Saturday mornings to the fresh smell of baking bread and loved it fresh out of the oven with melted butter on top. SIGH. This past Sunday I wanted to have that same moment for my family and got up extra early to make a sweet cornbread. My family and I usually stick to a more zesty cornbread, however we fell head over feet for this fluffy bread scented with orange and rosemary. The baked brown sugar on top is the icing on the cake of this recipe!
What you’ll need:
1 box of gluten free cornbread mix (and any indgredients it calls for: milk, oil, etc.)
2 fresh sprigs of rosemary
1 orange (zest and juice)
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
1/4 cup of dark brown sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, blend your wet ingredients and fold in your cornbread mix and cinnamon.
3. Then, carefully remove the leaves of rosemary and blend them into your batter.
4. Next, use a cheese grater to add orange zest to your batter. Then, halve the orange and squeeze all of the juice in and blend again.
5. Next, take a rectangle baking dish and spray it with coconut oil spray or grease it with butter.
6. Then carefully pour your batter into the pan about 2/3 of the way.
7. Sprinkle brown sugar all over the top of the batter and bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
8. Serve warm by itself or with a generous slice of butter.