I love dessert. The only thing I love more than dessert is a warm dessert topped with ice cream. I’ve been craving an apple crumb (oh, the gluten-filled memories) and decided to try to make a gluten-free version on the stove. The trick is in the “crust;” I used quinoa and almonds instead of using any flour. This dish is great as a dessert, but could even be a perfect brunch treat too!
What you’ll need:
3 granny smith apples
1 cup of blueberries
1 cup of almonds
1 cup of cooked quinoa
1 tsp. of vanilla
1 tsp. of nutmeg
1 tsp. of cinnamon
1/3 cup of dark brown sugar
1 TBSP of butter or butter spray
1. Prep your skillet with a coating of butter or butter spray.
2. Slice your apples and place into pan with blueberries.
3. Add vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon and brown sugar on top of the fruit and cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes.
4. Stir occasionally to make sure all of the sweet flavors are cooked into the fruit.
5. In a food processor add quinoa and almonds and pulse until the almonds are nicely chopped.
6. Once the apples have fully cooked down, add the quinoa and almond on top
7. Serve warm and with ice cream or frozen yogurt if you’d like!